Saturday, May 22, 2010

On April 9, Zenyatta won her 16th race in the Oaklawn Park Apple Blossom Handicap in Arkansas. With that win she tied Cigar and Citation for the most consecutive number of victories in major stakes competition. Neither Cigar nor Citation remained undefeated throughout their careers. To be fair, they ran many more races than horses these days.

On June 13, a Sunday, Zenyatta will go for number 17 at Hollywood Park (near LAX) to break this record in the Grade I Vanity Handicap. Fans from as far as away as Chile (my wife who arrives this coming Tuesday) will come to see her run.

2 comments:

  1. I love Zenyatta already. She seems truly amazing and inspired to run on a different level than most...as if inspired by a higher force. Reminds me of the great movie "Black Stallion".

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds exciting! My husband and I went to the Race Track at Santa Anita a few years ago with some of my colleagues. It was also exciting, but we didn't win though!

    ReplyDelete